Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Social Media Woes...

Finally, after two weeks of working on it, I have made and synced a Facebook and a Twitter account for the Rider Library. This proved to be more work than I thought it would be. My first post on these social media sites was made last night. I have turned over the user names and passwords to Mrs. M so she can continue to use these tools to promote the library to her students and staff members.

This week, I have been working with Mrs. M to teach a freshman English class how to find articles and cite sources for their term theme assignment. Freshman year is the first year that students are required to complete a term theme, so everything is new to them. Monday, they learned how to cite and book and how to make notecards from a source. Tuesday, they learned how to use two online resources, Britannica Online and EBSCO Databases. And today, the students worked on finding their 3 sources. Once they found their sources and printed them, they spent time highlighting and categorizing important information from the articles.

Today, I worked one-on-one with a student who had been absent the last two days. We were able to get him completely caught up so he can have a good start on his term theme assignment.

Teaching this week has been a very good experience for me and has once again, given me ideas of how to present information to my students at school - even though they are much younger. It has also confirmed that I need to work in a school library! I am very passionate about helping students succeed, and enjoy anytime I get to be a part of them learning something new.

As for my relabeling project...I am up to 592 in the 500's section! Woohoo! I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment