Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Cataloging at Rider

This week I learned the process of cataloging new books in the Rider Library. There are several steps involved, but I found their system much easier than the one I use at Christ Academy. Rider uses Follett Library Management, which allows the librarian to search for new records straight from the library management screen. This was a luxury for me, because I am required to search for MARC records through the Library of Congress, or create my own entries. I only wish my campus would switch to Follett!

Mrs. M allowed me to catalog a section of new books that she received from her book rep. These were sample titles that were published a few years ago, but still great additions to the library! There is nothing like looking through a new book! I just love it!

Today, I also helped several seniors with a research project over The Great Gatsby. This was the first class I have seen that was required to use at least one book in their research. All of the other classes I have seen have strictly used the databases and internet for their research. I was able to practice my "reference interview" skills during this class period because the students did not know how to search for books in the library.

What a great week it has been at Rider! I will not be interning on Friday, because my school is having a guest author visit all day. She will be leading book talks and writing workshops - it is sure to be a fun day!

No comments:

Post a Comment